*Note: the following is a volunteer, unpaid, part time position requiring consistent hours and a long term commitment. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid work.*
WhoWhatWhy invites gregarious, values-driven individuals to join our growing pro-bono family, share our story and persuade others to invest in our public-spirited vision of a better media. We’re a radically different news outfit - for a public equally tired of irresponsible "fake news" and of the establishment media’s pack mentality and limited curiosity.
At WhoWhatWhy, we hunt for those narratives that somehow never get told - even by the "hot news brands" that at first blush seem so edgy and bold. We dig deeper, identifying underlying causes of political crises and structural problems that, if addressed, could result in a better world for all.
As a nonprofit that accepts no advertising, WhoWhatWhy operates on a hybrid model comprising a core group of part- and full-time staffers and a larger contingent of talented, enthusiastic volunteers. Most of our seasoned team members started off as volunteers.
To apply, send us your resume and a detailed cover letter that shows you have studied our brand and explains why you are qualified for this position. You must confirm your understanding that this is a volunteer role. We will not accept applications that appear to be mass submissions.
WhoWhatWhy is looking for a People & Culture Generalist to assist our diverse HR team with recruitment and other essential HR duties. This position is pro-bono, but down the road, as we grow, we offer possibilities of compensation.
If you can commit a minimum of 5 hours a week, working remotely on your own schedule with our far-flung, diverse team, we’d like to hear from you.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Recruiting and staffing logistics
- Manage the recruitment process using the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit a superior workforce.
- Conduct the recruiting planning meetings when needed staff is identified.
- Review the resumes for all job candidates and interviews candidates.
- Serves on employee selection committees or meetings.
- Track and organize ad responses
- Reach out to qualified applicants in a timely manner
- Coordinate and schedule interviews with hiring managers
- Partner with hiring managers to determine the technical and soft skills that make for successful volunteers in each area for which you are recruiting
- Manage and maintain internal candidate database
- Partner with hiring managers to identify, evaluate required duties and responsibilities, knowledge, hard and soft skills and abilities regarding job requirements and develop formalized job
- Employee orientation, development, and training
- Policy development and documentation
- Company-wide committee facilitation
- Employee services and counseling
- Partners with management to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, and programs
- Database management, record keeping and updating data on HRIS (Human Resource Information System)
Qualifications and Skills
- General knowledge of recruitment and HR practices
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping
- Effective oral and written communication
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and organizational skills
- The capacity to perform successfully in a dynamic, changing environment, on a remote basis
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Outstanding prospect assessment skills
- The ability to grasp and project the WhoWhatWhy brand, its values and its distinct editorial vision
- Commitment to work at least five hours per week, on a flexible basis accommodating your schedule
- Minimum of an Associate degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, or Organization Development or equivalent. Bachelor's degree is preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in Human Resources positions
- aPHR/PHR/sPHR certification preferred but not required
Benefits and Perks
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations
- Collaborate with smart, accomplished co-workers
- Be part of an exciting, up-and-coming enterprise
- Work from home on a schedule that suits you
- Have fun
- Make a difference