HR Manager (Volunteer)
HR Manager (Volunteer)
*Note: The following is an opportunity for flexible, part-time, volunteer work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid employment. *This is a remote-from-home position. Must be fluent in English. Candidate must reside in United States, Canada, or Mexico.
Are you an experienced HR Manager who is passionate about making a difference? Are you excited about the opportunity to work with smart and talented individuals committed to producing great content in the public interest? Can you commit a minimum of 10 hours a week, working remotely on your own schedule with our far-flung, diverse team?
Check out WhoWhatWhy.org. You’ll quickly see that, besides being a nonprofit news organization, we’re a credible solution to the raging debate over whether the news is “fake” or not,” with agenda-free research and publishing bracingly fresh analysis. Not left-wing, not right-wing, not consensus-seeking. We just want the truth - whatever it is.
We have thought long and hard about what limits journalism’s ability to effect positive change in the public interest, and we see two factors that dominate the landscape: (1) Commercial entities overly concerned with meeting financial goals and filling “eyeball” quotas - while not straying from the rest of the pack, thereby ensuring a sameness and superficiality to the coverage. (2) Ideologically driven outfits catering to a specific mindset and not daring to reveal things that would upset their readers - or force them to reconsider their values.
At WhoWhatWhy, we go at each story with an open mind, boundless curiosity, and a willingness to dig deep and ask hard questions - even when we’re told not to. Nothing is going to stand in our way when it comes to discovering what is going on beneath the surface, and why. Call it naive to believe such fearlessness is possible, but we think it’s the essence of true journalism.
And because we’re straight to the point, we make clear that we’re looking for volunteers - skilled volunteers. Yes, we’re a nonprofit that wasn’t funded by a zillionaire. Yes, we decline to accept corporate ads. Because of that, we look for volunteers - with the possibility, down the road, of compensation based on proven results.
However, we do have big ambitions, which is why we’re seeking an experienced HR Manager to work closely with our leadership team to shape our talent management strategy.
- Engage in strategic planning meetings to translate business needs into recruitment strategy.
- Partner with leadership to generate needs assessment and hiring prioritization.
- Implement creative employee relations programs to retain talent, boost engagement, and promote candidate referrals.
- Work to continuously improve our online recruitment presence and brand.
- Develop and establish ad management and version control program.
- Refine onboarding strategy and improve new hire experience.
- Monitor recruitment pipeline metrics, interpret data, and make targeted recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of HR experience, specifically focused on end-to-end talent management: sourcing, recruiting, onboarding, retention.
- Exceptional communication skills, time management, and attention to detail are key attributes in this role.
- Keen understanding of HR recruiting-related metrics and reporting
- Experience working with ATS and HRIS
- Ability to infuse the WhoWhatWhy brand, its values, and its distinct vision throughout the recruitment strategy.
- Strong desire to take initiative and build strong relationships.
- Demonstrate a collaborative spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- PHR/SHRM-CP certification preferred but not required.
- Channel your passion in a stimulating environment
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations in an up-and-coming organization.
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can enhance your professional trajectory.
- Do amazing work on a flexible, part-time basis.
- Have fun while you make a difference.
- Your work will be seen!
You will work remotely and on your own schedule, and we ask for a minimum commitment of 6 months for at least 10-15 hours a week. Because our staff is spread throughout the world, we rely mostly on a combination of Slack, email, and conference calls, and expect everyone to be highly responsive in a timely manner.
If you possess a high level of self-motivation, and work well independently — but also have strong collaboration skills and enjoy the opportunity to partner with like-minded individuals and can commit quality time per week on a regular basis to help achieve team goals, we’d like to hear from you.
We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. To apply, send your resume and a customized cover letter explaining why you're a good fit for this position. If there is no option to attach a cover letter, please send a cover letter to [email protected]. You should confirm your understanding that this is, initially, a volunteer position.
After submitting your application, you may receive email responses from us that may go to your spam inbox. There is a technical issue with our Applicant Tracking System that we are working on fixing. In the meantime, please check your spam inbox regularly for correspondence from us. Thank you!