Image Editor (Volunteer)
WhoWhatWhy is seeking an Image Editor to handle various graphic and audiovisual tasks, these include incorporating photos, illustrations, charts, videos, and other artwork into assigned stories under the guidance of the Lead Image Editor.
The primary focus of this position is to find and prepare graphic material in different formats for publication on our website. Advanced Photoshop or Lightroom techniques will be utilized for any necessary image modifications. Training will be provided for collaboration using Google Docs, image sourcing, and other job-specific tasks. The ideal candidate should possess strong proficiency in photo editing, along with the necessary hardware and software. If you are an editor with experience and skills in these areas, we’d like to hear from you.
You may need to work on a flexible schedule and on a short deadline. We are looking for someone who has some availability during business hours to complete assignments by deadline.
We have a very accommodating work culture. As long as you can devote enough time in a given week to seriously tackle this challenge, you’ll be able to do so working remotely with our far-flung, diverse team on your own schedule. This is a work from home position.
Who We Are:
A nonprofit organization dedicated to setting an ethical standard by maintaining a neutral, factual, and objective editorial that’s not vulnerable to external influence.
We are primarily staffed by skilled volunteers dedicated to both elevating public awareness and fostering a more vigorous democracy.
- Read assigned stories and review any accompanying media.
- Locate appropriate photos, illustrations, charts, videos, and other artwork to enhance the story.
- Create original content or adapt material from sources available in Creative Commons and the public domain.
- Write relevant captions and ensure proper attribution for all visual elements.
- Present work using the provided Google Doc story template for review by editors and writers.
- Collaborate with editors and writers to address requested changes or corrections.
- Mastery of spoken and written English.
- Bachelor's Degree in Photography, Computer Graphics, Graphic Arts, Journalism or related field.
- Experience in Photoshop, Google Docs, and Creative Commons.
- Additional expertise in image and video editing is advantageous.
- Extensive knowledge of Photoshop, including excellent photo retouching and editing skills.
- Experience in image search, editing, and curation.
- Understanding of copyright issues related to visual content.
- Ability to work effectively in a virtual team environment.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
Send us a resume pointing out your education and professional experience.
Include an online link to the portfolio of your previous production work. Let us appreciate your proficiency in various image editing techniques, like retouching, color correction, and composition.
Write a customized cover letter that indicates you have studied our organization and have resonated with the mission and vision of WhoWhatWhy.
Notice that we will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. You must confirm your understanding that this is a volunteer position.