*Note: The following is an opportunity for flexible, part-time, volunteer work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid employment. All positions are remote/ work-from-home.
Are you an experienced copywriter or marketing writer who is passionate about making a difference? Do you enjoy producing engaging, clear text for different advertising channels? Do you have experience researching keywords, producing interesting written content, and proofreading work for accuracy and quality? Would you find it exciting to work with smart and talented individuals committed to producing great journalism in the public interest? Does being part of a growing team of passionate individuals who have marketing expertise sound exciting to you? Can you commit a minimum of 10 hours a week to our mission, working remotely on your own schedule with our far-flung, diverse team?
WhoWhatWhy is seeking experienced copywriters who can take editorial content and creatively enhance it for social media. The ideal candidate will have expert knowledge and skills in writing copy for social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn).
WhoWhatWhy is a non-profit news organization and community providing the public with high-quality investigative and analytical forensic journalism on the great issues facing humankind. A nonprofit that accepts no advertising, we are staffed largely with skilled volunteers dedicated to elevating public awareness and fostering a more vigorous democracy.
We are a nonprofit. We are not funded by a zillionaire. We do not accept corporate ads. As such, we seek skilled volunteers to fill out our growing organizational infrastructure. Age does not matter. We have among us young students, vibrant retirees, and everything in between, from all walks of life.
- Write clear and error-free content for the website that reflects the WhoWhatWhy’s voice.
- Work to enhance and develop the message, brand voice and target audience.
- Propose copy concepts in an engaging way and carry out projects once they are approved.
- Interpret creative direction and technical information to turn them into persuasive copy concepts.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to brainstorm and develop a variety of marketing materials.
- Work on a wide range of projects and media writing and proofreading content to meet business goals.
- Work independently and cooperatively on multiple projects with the marketing team, meeting deadlines, and scheduling project implementation based on workload.
- Examine existing processes, identifying flaws, and creating solutions to improve design capabilities.
- Collaborate, brainstorm, and strategize with multiple teams for a wide range of materials that may include web pages, internal communication, newsletters, and marketing materials.
- Experience producing copy for digital media channels.
- Exceptional skill in social media writing, including use of hashtags and relevant acronyms.
- Experience in SEO.
- Creativity, adaptability, and the ability to work collaboratively with a team.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on high quality work and consistent performance over time is essential.
- Organizational and time-management skills for meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with multiple staff and stakeholders across a decentralized organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, be self-motivated, and in a team environment.
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization.
- Channel your passion in a stimulating environment.
- Work in an exciting, up-and-coming organization in a crucial and societally relevant field.
- Interact with people at all levels.
- Collaborate with smart, accomplished coworkers.
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations.
- Be pivotal in the growth and success of an instrumental department.
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can enhance your professional trajectory.
- Do amazing work on a flexible, part-time basis.
- Have fun while you make a difference.
You will work remotely and on your own schedule. We also ask for a minimum commitment of 10-15 quality hours a week (Though doing more is not discouraged!) on a regular basis to help achieve team goals. Because our staff is spread throughout the world, we communicate mostly through Slack and email, and team members are requested to be highly responsive in a timely manner. You will be expected to attend your department’s recurring meetings and correspond with the team on a regular basis.
We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. To apply, send your resume and a customized cover letter, making clear you are familiar with our mission and work. You should confirm your understanding that this is a volunteer position. If there is no option to attach a cover letter, please send a cover letter to [email protected].
Please note that response emails from us sometimes end up in spam folders; don’t forget to check them. Thank you!